Copycat Chick-fil-a

I'm a sucker for a good copycat recipe. I've been suckered by so-called copycat recipes in the past too. This is not the later. This one is for real! I pinned it ages ago but after an unfortunate incident involving what were supposed to be Texas Roadhouse Rolls I've been hesitant of late.

The recipe is simple but the secret ingredient is both surprising and brilliant. Dill Pickle Juice! I followed the recipe closely with only a couple exceptions and doubled it as it's only written for two. The true test was when our five year old completely unprompted asked if they were Chick-fil-a nuggets. I say they were even better because it didn't cost us $40!

What you need:

  • 2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces then seasoned with salt & pepper
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
  • 1/4 cup dill pickle juice
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 cup peanut oil, divided (or canola or vegetable oil)



What to do:

  1. Whisk together egg, milk and pickle juice, and pour into a large ziplock bag or bowl. Add chicken pieces and marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
  2. Combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag. Shake to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade and add into the bag. Shake to coat the chicken completely.
  3. Heat half the oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat (6 or 7 out of 10.) Test the oil by dropping in a bit of the flour mixture. If it sizzles, the oil is ready, if it pops, lower the temperature a bit.
  4. Gently place chicken pieces into the oil with tongs. Do this in 2 batches, as you don’t want to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on one side. Turn the chicken over and allow to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate. Heat the remaining oil and continue with the other half of the chicken pieces.

*I kept my paper towel lined sheet pan in my oven on warm (170 degrees) to keep the chicken warm while the other pieces were frying. 

**In addition to the buttermilk I also added 2-3 generous dashes of my favorite hot sauce to the wet ingredients. Also, I found I used a bit more oil than the recipe called for. I was using two fairly large cast iron pans so I imagine that is the reason. I thought it was still worth mentioning. 



Cheers!
-Saron

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

Company breakfast