Blueberry Bundt Cake




Blueberries are in season here on Delmarva which means blueberries are on sale at the supermarket. I'm generally not a fan of blueberries but I'm trying really hard not to pass my personal food aversions on to my kids and I don't mind blueberries in some baked goods.  My Grandma made a killer Lemon Blueberry pound cake. If I ever track down her recipe from an Aunt I'll gladly share it.

So what to do with my blueberries today? I'm not afraid to take a chance on recipes found on the Internet. This recipe from SouthernFood was just what I was looking for. It combines blueberries with my love for sour cream coffee cake and begins with a stick and a half of butter.

I followed the recipe as written. The only additional step I took was to dredge the rinsed berries in a bit of flour before folding them into the cake batter. It helps with even distribution and stops some of the color from bleeding into the cake. I also made a quick glaze to pour over top (butter, powdered sugar, milk, and almond extract) but found that it was too sweet (and I like sweet). When I make this again I'll skip the glaze and dust with confectioners sugar right before serving.

I made myself a big cup of tea and enjoyed a slice of this lovely cake while it was still warm and you should too!



Enjoy

Blue Berry Bundt Cake

What you'll need:

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 12 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 2/3 cup sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 8 ounces sour cream
  • 2 cups blueberries, rinsed, picked over, stems removed
What to do:

Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan (10-12 cup size).In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.Slowly beat in the flour mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Blend well. Fold in the blueberries. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden pick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. 

I let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 30 minutes before I turned it out to cool on my platter. The recipe doesn't note how long to cool so I guessed. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

Company breakfast