My first born


This week we traveled back up North to the A.I. DuPont Hospital for Children to follow up with Dr Connor, the Orthopedic  surgeon caring for Jacob's broken collarbone. Jacob fell out of bed in the middle of the night (no horse play involved;-) and broke his collar bone almost four weeks ago. We learned on Tuesday that Jacob is healed and free to resume all of his regularly scheduled activities. Jacob was devistated at his first visit when he was told he had to stay out of the pool for three whole weeks! It's been tough for him to watch his brother and sister at their lessons. It's been difficult for me to keep a six year old boy in a shoulder sling with his two feet on the ground:-) 

In the car on our way home and not yet off the hospital grounds Jacob asked if he could write a thank you note to Dr. Connor. He said he wanted to thank him for taking such good care of his bone. 

Steve reached over and grabbed my hand because he knew I'd just burst into tears behind my sunglasses. It was one of those moments you live for as a parent. The day to day whining, crying, playing referee and feeling like no one ever listens to what you're saying. The pay off is the moment when your six years old has the instinct to write a thank you note. 

Here is what he said,


"Dear Dr. Connor,

Thank you for taking care of me. Your helpers are really nice too. 
I am so excited to be back swimming again. Thanks to you. 

                  Your friend, Jacob Hand"

I'm so proud of him. He's handled the whole ordeal as best as could be expected. I'm glad to have it behind us and looking forward to a fun Summer! 

Comments

  1. What a sweet boy! Now get in the water!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes… we need those moments to remind us that the hard work is paying off. Well done, little man!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

Company breakfast