This time of year

I love Thanksgiving and Advent and Christmas. I love cooking and baking. Going to church and quietly preparing for the celebration of our Lord's birth. Sometimes in the quiet sweet memories become bitter when my thoughts turn to loved ones I've lost. My grandmother in particular. This December 23 will mark the tenth anniversary of her passing. 

This morning as I got a head start preparing our Thanksgiving meal I made a cranberry relish from her instructions and a Texas Sheet Cake that was her favorite. She's been on my mind all morning and I miss her just as much as ever. 

Fair is fair Lauren. Here I am (at 13) in a blaze of bangs and braces glory. 


I'd love to share the sheet cake recipe with you too:-)

Texas Sheet Cake 

2 cups unsifted flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons butter
1 cup water
6 tablespoons cocoa 

1/2 cup sour cream 
2 eggs
1teaspoon vanilla 
1 teaspoon baking soda

Combine flour, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Heat butter, water, and cocoa in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Remove from hear and add to dry ingredients. Gently beat in soda, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake 20-25 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. 

Allow cake no more than 30 minutes before icing. 

For the icing

Bring 2 tablespoons butter, 6 tablespoons milk, and 4 tablespoons cocoa to a boil. Remove from heat and add 1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts), 2 full cups confectioners sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth and pour over cake. 


Happy Thanksgiving



Comments

  1. That's a lovely photo, and I bet the memories associated with it are just as beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

We're not reinventing the wheel here