Another day another doctor

On Wednesday I met my new endocrinologist. All I can say is what a difference good communication skills can make! The good news is that my old Endo had ordered the tests that I thought he had not. He just never communicated the results to me. My new doctor confirmed my Hoshimoto's diagnosis and took the time to explain what that diagnosis means for the rest of my life. I'm much more upbeat about my overall prognosis after hearing all the facts. He also took the time to listen and answer all of my questions about things I've been reading about this disease and Thyroid disorders in general. My biggest take away is that there is a lot of junk on the internet and having a trusted healthcare provider is crucial. 

My last blood test showed that my tsh is down to 3. (Normal tsh is between 1-2 and high numbers are bad. Numbers lower than that are bad too but a different problem all together.) Considering my baseline (taking no hormone) is 14! I'm definitely on the right track. We tweaked my dose just a bit and my doctor thinks we'll hit my target range by my next blood test. I certainly feel as though a fog has lifted and a functioning thyroid is certainly promoting my nearly 25lb weight loss. 

My worst fear was that I would find myself at square one. Starting over with a new doctor, a different diagnosis and more questions. I'm so thankful that none of that happened. As a bonus I've got a new doctor who communicates with me well. I can't believe how far I've come in the last six months!


Comments

  1. The internet is a cesspool, especially on this topic. Glad to hear you have a doctor who listens and that you are seeing progress all around. What a difference that makes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

We're not reinventing the wheel here