Good things



Steve's Dad got stuck spending the end of the week in Allentown (commence humming a Billy Joel song now;-) He's still trying to wrap things up with his brother's estate (make a will folks! Your loved ones deserve it.) We're celebrating his birthday today (it was Thursday) and I'm bring the cake. 

My Mother in law gave me a couple old (vintage?) recipe flyers from 1977. One was for Baker's chocolate. I shared them on IG. 

A recipe for cream cheese chocolate frosting caught my eye and that's what I made. I'm also leaving in five days for a whole week! So I used a box yellow cake mix I had in my pantry (for shame!) I did sub coconut oil for vegetable oil to tszuj it up a bit. I also frosted it in the pan because I'm taking it to Mom and Dad's later. And because I'm never going to be the woman who makes three tier cakes for family birthdays. 

It's a pretty pan though:-)

Here's how to make the frosting. 

Ingredients: 8oz semi sweet chocolate, 1 8oz brick softened cream cheese, 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1tablespoon milk, 1teaspoon vanilla, 1/4teaspoon salt

Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Cool completely reserving 1/4 cup chocolate for garnish. Blend milk and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, salt, and chocolate and beat until smooth. 

Frost your cake (this makes enough to frost the sides if you turn your cake out on to a platter) smooth over the top. Take reserved chocolate and pour in lines 1inch apart. Using a clean sharp knife draw lines across the chocolate in opposite direction for a rippled effect.  

Sometimes the best things come in the simplest packages. Have a lovely weekend all:-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

We're not reinventing the wheel here