Pot Roast

I love one pot suppers. I really love pot roast. I picked up a roast for Sunday dinner last week and when the day came I went to reach for my tried and true onion soup mix to get the party started. I was out!

There was no turning back. What happened next (while not earth shattering) may change the way I make pot roast forever. My two options were Italian dressing seasoning or Ranch. I went with the Ranch. 

Instead of mixing with water or broth and pouring over the meat I sprinkled the dry seasoning over the onions and carrots as they did a quick sautée in the same pan I seared the beef. 


While the veggies hung out in hot pan I quartered a few red potatoes. 


I transferred everething into a Dutch oven and deglazed the skillet with a little red wine and chicken stock (I would probably use beef stock but the chicken stock was already open in the fridge. Honestly, I use chicken stock for everything.) I poured the liquid over the meat and veg and topped in with a lid and stuck it in a preheated 300 degree oven for about 2.5 hours for a roughly 3lb roast. 

Unfortunately, I had no idea what resulted would be so delicious so I skipped the pictures of the rest. I did make a gravy by thickening the pan juices.

 I hope I've inspired you to change up your old reliable pot roast. I don't think you'll be sorry. 



What you need:

3lb roast (that feeds our family) 
2 med-large white onions, sliced
1lb baby carrots or big carrots cut down to size. 
8-10 small-med red potatoes
1 envelope ranch dressing or try making it yourself
a few shakes of dried thyme and or rosemary. 
Salt
Pepper
Granulated garlic 

What you do:
Pat roast dry with paper towel and season liberally with salt, pepper, and garlic. Sear meat on all sides. Set aside. Add a little olive oil to to the hot skillet and sautée onions and carrots for five minutes. Add meat and all veggies to a 5qt dutch oven and bake for 2.5 hours in a preheated 300 degree oven. Remove roast and veggies to a platter and bring juices to a simmer on your stovetop.  (please done burn your hands. That dutch oven is HOT!) Thicken juices for gravy using your favorite method. I use cornstarch. 

I'd love to know if you try it. 
Enjoy!


Comments

  1. Well, now I'm going to have to buy a pretty dutch oven to try this recipe. I have the tried and true crock pot and a great camping dutch oven. I've been looking for just the right excuse!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the story of us

new year, new...

Company breakfast